Wednesday, October 20, 2004
Please note: It is ONLY to be played when you are in a REALLY TERRIBLE mood.
Some instances which would classify as calling for a REALLY TERRIBLE mood are:
- Sulky: Tom at the end of every Tom & Jerry show
- Depressed: Napoleon on realizing he would never touch a height of 5'
- Shocked beyond redemption: Me when I reached out for that last piece of chocolate and you grabbed it first
So what is this game all about? It's a very educational game. Let's call it "Game 18".
"Game 18" is a 9-step game:
- Step 1: Confirm that your mood is REALLY TERRIBLE.
- Step 2: Go to a place where you're not alone. It could be your family living room, your college library, your office canteen. (Ok, you can do play this game all alone too if you want, in the washroom or in front of a mirror. That's good fun too!)
- Step 3: Shut your eyes, inhale deeply, clear your mind of all your sorrows and worries (this is VERY important), and Realize The Great Truth. Namely that the English Language has 26 alphabets and innumerable combinations of these. However, the world of Smiles is not far behind ... experts claim there are 18 different kinds of smiles! And they all have sub-types, and they are also amenable to permutations and combinations, just like English! So if we can spend years, sometimes lifetimes, in mastering the English language, why don't we spend some time in practising and mastering the "Smile" language? NOW you have Realized the Great truth, AND why this Game is called "Game 18", and are ready to move to Step 4.
- Step 4: Think of as many types of smiles as you know. List them down if you have pen and paper. Some that I can think of right now (and I'm not sure if they're right!) are:
a. Sheepish grin
b. Amused grin
c. Chuckle (do YOU know how exactly to chuckle? I'm not sure if I do ... need practice on this one ... )
d. Happy smile (duh!?)
Can you add more to the list? Remember - no search engine help is allowed here!
It's an open challenge here ... the MAD Club's in-house Smiley Team is certain the experts are wrong, and there are MORE than 18 types of Smiles !! So draw up your own list, with as many types of Smiles as possible, and do us ... our Smiley Team is simply DYING to know your list.
- Step 5: Now, one by one, practise each of the types of Smiles on your list. Remember, you are (ideally) in a place where you're not alone.
- Step 6: Identify your favorite kind of Smile. And keep practising it till you master ALL the nuances possible.
- Step 7: After 2 - 5 minutes of this game, rate your mood on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 = REALLY TERRIBLE, 10 = REALLY ECSTATIC). If your score is less than 5, repeat Steps 5 and 6.
- Step 8: Repeat Steps 1 to 7 whenever you feel you're in a REALLY TERRIBLE mood.
- Step 9: When you've totally mastered the game, inform us and we'll send you a "SMILE MASTER" Certificate. And the first ten respondents will receive a special gift !!!
PS. We're in the process of setting up a MAD Club "Laugh Team" and developing a game similar to the one above, with "Smile" replaced by "Laugh". Some ideas for the "Laugh Game", initiated by Shaffy, are:
- Making really odd faces all of a sudden!
- Bursting into song! (The more out-of-tune the better. If you don't know too many, even Happy Birthday to anyone or the National Anthem will do!)
- Jumping up and down 6 times! (Restricted to people of age 20 and above ONLY)
- Producing a funny hat out of your bag and wearing it!
- Basically doing anything odd or childish, something you're DEFINITELY not supposed to do at your age and stage :)
All these games will ensure, not just laughter all around, but instant popularity for you :)
Do try these out and let us know your findings!
And in the meantime ... keep smilin' !!! :-))))